Sunday, September 1, 2019

Frightful Dracula

Frightful Dracula
I got a bunch of new toys in this past week, and it turned cold outside.  Well what a better reason to get started on the Halloween pieces I wanted to make. This is my starter...
 ...a spooky little 5x7 block of wood for a freestanding deco piece.

Originally, I had planned on just making a card front and placing it in a frame, but I wanted to utilize the whole 5x7 size.  Well I love working with wood project too, so I found some scraps and cut it to size with a few extras for future projects. (Because if I'm getting man glitter on me, I may as well make it worthwhile. And save myself some time for the next few ideas I have floating in my head.) 

After playing with the crackle stencil (Stampers Anonymous), micro glaze (Ranger), and distressing with Walnut Stain Distress Ink (Ranger) on the "wall"paper, I started with the new window die-cut from Sizzix and Tim Holtz. It's cut on brown paper and then run through the 3D woodgrain folder (Tim Holtz, Sizzix) that was inked with Walnut Stain. Then distressed with Hickory Smoke and Black Soot Oxide Inks (Ranger). The outside window scene was done with more Oxide inks and stenciled branches from more Stampers Anonymous stencils (set 23).  The bat was done with texture paste mixed with Black Soot Distress Re-Inker smooshed through a bat stencil from Echo Park. After assembling I covered in glaze from the Paper Mosaics Kit from Ranger. The bat is on the inside of the window, so no glaze. I added a second window frame over the top after it had dried.

The bottle are from the Regions Beyond Tim Holtz set (Sizzix). The eyeballs and poison are from a Taylored Expression's Toil and Trouble stamp set. The shelf is a window piece. The skull is from a Halloween assortment from Amazon.
Since I used scrap wood this piece just so happened to have a screw hole in it right where I had torn my wall paper.  Well it needed something fun stuck in it.  So a hand from the same brass bead assortment landed there with some red embossing powder and glue.  Well that hand needed to do in came the candelabra from my Toil and Trouble set's die cuts. I had to hand adjust a few things like the candle length and cut off the base and make it a hanger, but it worked out okay.  I'm not entirely thrilled with the candle details I'll probably add some detailed drips yet. I hand drew the drips and embossed in red and then glazed the whole back to help with the strength. It also helps it hold its rounded shape.
The blood drips are actually the candle drips from Regions Beyond die set inked in Candy Apple and coated with paper mosaic glaze. I cut some apart as needed to fit my areas.  The "fright" and "beware" is from stencil set noted above. I tried to do it in crackle texture paste tinted with Forest Moss re-inker, but it wasn't thick enough to hold the shape.  I lifted what I could off and switched over to my premixed bat mixture. The skull is from Frightful Things die set, distressed with Antique Linen, DO Hickory Smoke, and DO Black Soot.
Old Drac is from Monster Reunion stamp set (Tim Holtz, Stampers Anonymous). He's colored with various brands of alcohol makers and fussy cut. So worth the time on the cutting.  I popped him up with foam tape to pop him off the front a bit. I had to add in the drop of blood, because HELLO it's Dracula! It was totally a extra snip-let from the other stuff. Don't ask how long I crawled around on the floor when I dropped it to only find it stuck to my shirt half an hour later when I was doing something else. (Insert eye roll here.) 
The candle base is from the Frightful Things set, but I wanted more dimension. In came the Regions Beyond set to the rescue. (And I might just use it to add to those chandelier candles yet.) I worked out fitting well with the added curve of the candle.  I doubled up the foam tape so bring it out farther than Drac. 
I don't know where the web stamp is from. Stamped with embossing ink and embossed in white. Added some little black gems for spiders.
I tried doing shadow ghosts, but they got lost in the background too much. Thus I ended up adding in the die cuts.  Finished it off with inking the edges one last time and sanding the over hanging ghosts off.  If you made it this far...thanks for reading all the way through. And happy haunt making!

#TimHoltz #FrightfulThings #Sizzix #StampersAnonymous #InkyandScrappy #Halloween #MonsterReunion #RegionsBeyond #TayloredExpressions #RangerInks

No comments: